Color defines our life and is an important factor in innovative product design where color and technical requirements play an increasingly important role. We focus our efforts on meeting our customers’ needs. With our knowledge and the latest technical innovations, we can offer a comprehensive programme of color masterbatches. AF-Color® offers a large number of standardised solutions.
We also produce individual products in small amounts and deliver them straight to your production site. Our masterbatches come in all established carrier materials as well as in engineering thermoplastics. Special effects are also part of our offering, such as metallic effects, transparency, multi-color, marbling, wood effect and thermochrome.
We are Industry Trendsetters
A color masterbatch is a solid or liquid additive used to color plastics. It is a concentrated mixture of pigments or additives encapsulated during a heat process into a carrier resin, which is then cooled and cut into a granular shape. Masterbatches allow manufacturers to color raw polymer economically during the plastics manufacturing process. There are millions of color formulations. The team of colorists from AF-COLOR create tailor-made solutions, with the best value for money. Based on our unparalleled knowledge of color, we make individual masterbatches on custom production lines. We guarantee that you receive preparations of the highest quality and formulation consistency, with guaranteed adherence to formulation for years, if desired.
Our Application Methods
From die-casting, profile extrusion and blowing of hollow plastics to calendering and rotation sintering, there is an application for AF-Color®, AF-Carbon® and AF-Complex® in just about every manufacturing environment. Our products can be used in many different applications from domestic appliances and furniture to toys, sports and recreation to automotive parts.
The implementation of the color design often already takes place at the plastics converter, i.e. the manufacturer of the caps and closures. In this process, the support of an expert in both color and plastics who also knows how to assess the effects of the processing on the envisaged colorants (pigments and dyes) is indispensable.
Good design lies in the eye of the beholder. Industrial designers face the daily challenge of appealing to as large agroup of buyers as possible with their designs. This is especially so when it comes to packaging design, because in this more price-driven segment it is less important to have an overly extravagant, expensive design.
You want to know more about Color Design – Inspiration and Inventiveness!
Download our brochure: AF-Color® – Injection Moulding Caps and Closures.
Color Design Versus Technical Feasibility
A shampoo bottle is made of various materials: the bottle body consists of polyethylene (HDPE) or polyethylene terephthalate (PET), the screw cap or snap-on cap is usually made of polypropylene (PP), whilst polystyrene (PS) or styrene-acrylonitrile copolymers (SAN) are used less frequently.
In the next step, all colorations are transferred to the respective plastic grades in a kind of feasibility study. It often turns out that not all color designs can be applied equally well to the different plastics, so that it may be necessary to choose from the best possible approximations.
The possibilities of achieving color effects through the use of special effect pigments are becoming more and more diverse. AF-COLOR is in constant dialogue with renowned manufacturers, so that we can always provide you with comprehensive advice on the latest trends. In addition to the established effect pigments, all new developments are available to you at short notice.
Masterbatch for Coloration IR-Detectable Packaging
All Colors and Polymers are Also Available in “Carbon Black-Freeˮ Versions
• Current topic – the new German Packaging Act: sortability of packaging in automated waste separation
• Carbon black causes errors in IR detection
• Materials free of carbon black ensure sensors (in the NIR range) can detect them properly
• We will be happy to test the detectability of the material combination you want: every color can be supplied without carbon black
Leave a Lasting Impression
• Available as an additive concentrate or in combination with dye
• Masterbatches for optimal laser marking results
• Can produce dark, light or colorful markings
• Can even be used on curved or hard-to-reach surfaces
• Laser-transparent masterbatches to ensure optimal weldability
• 3D printers are finding more and more applications in homes
• It is a comparatively inexpensive process that uses monofilaments as its printing medium
A wide range of colors and color additives are available, e.g. PETG 501696 Pearlescent Blue
Colors for HT Polymers
Color Stability Even at Extremely High Temperatures
• Innovative color formulations for coloring high-temperature polymers with a melting point above 300 °C
• Suitable for high-performance polymers PPA / PPS / PEEK
• Colorants that remain stable at temperatures of up to 350 °C
• Greater freedom for customised color scheme